City: Brooklyn, NY
Neighborhood: Park Slope / Prospect Heights
Nearest Public Transit: Grand Army Plaza Subway Station
By no means a requirement, but we recommend doing this walk on a Saturday morning to be able to visit the Green Market in Grand Army Plaza (8am-3pm).
If you want to start with Brunch before your walk, visit nearby Cheryl’s Global Soul for a delicious start to the day.
Before your walk, explore the Green Market in all its glory. Located at the Grand Army Plaza entrance to Prospect park. If you skipped brunch, but need to carb load, everything at the Bread Alone stand is delicious.
Start your walk by entering the park and walking to your left (toward Flatbush Ave). Follow the East Drive path until you reach the Center Drive path. Then follow the Center Drive path until it hits the West Drive path and take that to Bartel-Pritchard Square (here’s a map of Prospect Park).
Exit Prospect Park at Bartel-Pritchard Square. If you’re ready for a snack / quick rest, choose between:
- A cone at Ample Hills Creamery
- A Pint at the Double Windsor
- A bagel at Terrace Bagels
You can now continue to choose your own adventure, and either:
- Re-enter the park and simply follow West Drive back to Grand Army Plaza (where you can then easily visit the Brooklyn Public Library, the Brooklyn Botanic Garden or the Brooklyn Museum)
- Walk south down Prospect Park West away from the park to arrive at Green-Wood Cemetery, a sprawling 478 acre cemetery that was once a Revolutionary War battlefield (this entrance is open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., on weekends and days of remembrance only)
- Walk two blocks west and make a right onto 7th Avenue to explore the heart of Park Slope. When you get to Union street, make a right to head back to Grand Army Plaza, or take a detour and make a left to head to Union Hall for a beer and a game of Bocce
Back to Walking Guides